Wednesday, April 25, 2007

My Mayday Financial Rebuilding Year

I can't take it. Just when I feel like I'm getting to my feet, something comes along and reminds me I should be firmly planted on my butt. Worse yet, most days I feel like I'm already on my knees, begging for some sense of fiscal normalcy.

So here were are... at day one. It's the first day of my hair-brained plan. No spending for a year. From now, right now, until May 1st 2008 (hence the catchy Mayday title), I will not spend any money for recreational purposes. No gifts, no luxury items, no eating out, no snacks from the vending machine around the corner at work that has those great little mini donuts stacked six high, nothing. I will use my money only for the allocated family expendatures and non-personal essentials. I'm not refraining from buying my daughter a new pair of shoes if she needs them, but I've got a pair of my own that will last me the rest of the length of the challenge.

Anything that is a current expendature is in bounds, but no new goods or services will be considered, unless they are offset by recouping a previously in play item. For example, we have basic Netflix service. I'm not going to cancel that, but I'm also not going to go and get a subscription to some other service.

I want to write on this daily to reinforce my decision and track some basic numbers to see how much of a difference it makes. I may edit this entry later for more clarification on what is in and out of bounds.

Things that are within bounds:
  1. Buying food items from the grocery store. I won't buy fast food for lunch, but buying a box of popcorn from the store to take in to nosh on is well within bounds.
Things out of bounds:
  1. Any new media item (CD or DVD). Hell, I've got a closet full of stuff I don't listen to now. Getting the latest Venture Bros. DVD set right now isn't going to cause the collapse of my life.
I'm tired of looking forward to my next paycheck, only to find out that I've bounced another check because I bought a $5 cup of coffee two days ago. I'd much rather have a bit more security, even if it takes 371 days.

So there it is. My five minute manifesto. I'm cutting myself free from all my bad purchasing habits and putting them at arm's length for a year. This is where the wandering begins. Reflections and Updates to follow.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Man, I seriously commend you on this "venture" into financial security. I wouldn't last a week. :)

I will definitely keep my eye on your progress. 371 days is a long time. Setting up some little rewards for yourself at specific intervals might keep the morale up. It works with little kids anyway.

Anonymous said...

Hi there, found you through the Knitch group on Ravelry.

Good for you! I've found that shopping at the DeKalb Farmer's Market I can get so much more in fruit and veggies than if I go to Kroger. You might also want to check out Mary Hunt's website
http://www.cheapskatemonthly.com/

it's really good and think it would speak to you.

Also, Trader Joe's has good wine for $2.48 a bottle. Can't beat that!

Good Luck on your challenge.