Thursday, May 3, 2007

05-02-2007 Groceries

Well I went to 2 different stores, Whole Foods & Publix. It's interesting to me that there is a financial component to eating well. Or at least eating organically. I had to choose today between 2 gallons of milk or 1 gallon of organic milk for the same price. Sadly I went financial and bought the 2 gallons which of course were not organic.

I did buy a muffin at Whole Foods which technically I probably shouldn't have bought. I excuse myself by saying that I bought it for Budget Edemame (who did eat most of it) but really I should not be buying expensive ($1.69) muffins when I could just as easily make them at home for a fraction of the price and then she gets to make them WITH me. So.

I'm not sure what my "punishment" is for stuff like that, other than to tell you guys so that if I continue at least I have the open shame of admitting it to others. Let's go to the lists!

Whole Foods:
2 Greek Yogurts $4
Muffin $2
Grapefruit (3) $2.25
2 Dr. Bronner's Soap $16
total = $25
I only went to Whole Foods to get the soap. The yogurt was not on my list though the grapefruit was on my Publix list. So $6 is a bit wayward. I need to get in and get out. If it's not on the list DO NOT BUY IT.

Publix:
Laughing Cow cheese $3
Chedder cheese $3
mushrooms $2
roast beef $5.50
zucchini $1.50
carrots $1.50
eggs $2
romaine lettuce $3
(2) milk $5
sugar $2.50
celery $1.50
drinks $10 (We went back on the soda. As a friend says, "hey at least it's not crack")
grapes $8 (DAMN!!! I didn't even look at this one until I was typing this. That is hella costly. Smaller bag of grapes next time. 2.34lbs @ 2.99 per, sheesh.)
snow peas $2.50
(2) juice $4
cauliflower $1.50
(3) jello $2.50
(2 pkgs) chicken $5.50
total = $66.01
Everything I bought was on my list except for the drinks. I got the juice because I like it when they do the Adam & Eve or Northlands 100% cranberry juices 2 for 1. Then I stock up. The Ronin can attest that we never run out of "red juice" as Edemame likes to call it. The grapes were a shock but not until I got home. I need to be careful of grabbing things and NOT WEIGHING them before I decide which bag I'm getting. That may very well be a good price for grapes but I don't want to spend my frugal grocery money on grapes when I could get 2 things for $4 with that money. I could have gotten lemons or oranges or tomatoes, (none of these things looked good today at the store but the point remains) or just spent 4 less dollars. So lesson for next time. :)

2 comments:

Budget Ronin said...

$8 grapes are no $400 haircut. Even so, I'm grateful you're thinking of these things.

Anonymous said...

$8 grapes? Those better be some damn good grapes!! (And remember, if they don't get eaten fast enough you can freeze them.) I hate getting surprised like that at the store.