Monday, May 14, 2007

The Weekend Update

It's been a long weekend. Here's a short weekend roundup: On Friday, I donated $5 to the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure Foundation. It was an office fund raiser and a very worthy cause. I should have dontated more, but the standard donation was $5, so I chipped in my Lincoln. It wasn't altogether altruistic. The $5 also bought us the privilege of wearing jeans to work. There was some personal comfort involved, but the result was charitable, so I excused myself.

Saturday found us at a Birthday party for one of Budget Edamame's friends. The talented Budget Naginata crafted presents for the kids celebrating. Sure, it's cheaper, you say, but she's extremely good and it's the kind of cool you just can't buy (in my opinion).

The party was held at a local fire station, which was a real treat for the kids. It was also a good learning experience for the adults. I don't know how it is in your town, but around here, the fire stations are not given a budget for furniture or entertainment, they have to fund it all themselves. So if you have something you were planning to throw out that still has a few miles on it, please think of our valliant civil servants and call your local firestation to see if they could use that slightly used item. We immediately earmarked some stuff to donate that we had picked up over the weekend that was just going to sit in our storage area back at the house. Ok, this ends your public service announcement segment of today's post.

On Sunday, I filled up the Budget-mobile with $32 of gas. I think Naginata spent less than a dollar on a drink. She was thirsty and we'd just dealt with two sets of mothers, so I am not going to give her any grief about that, and I suggest none of you follow suite.

I hope that everyone had a happy Mother's Day. We tried to make it non-commercial by having family over and enjoying each other's company. Most of that worked out pretty well.

1 comment:

Granny said...

Oops. Just left a comment on the old blog thanking naginata for her kind words today.

I'll be back.