Sunday, May 6, 2007

5-04-07 more boughten things...

It's interesting now writing down spending. I feel like we are buying things all the time. They are all needed, groceries, health items, shoes for Budget Edemame, but still it feels like I'm in the store all the time. Poor Edemame doesn't understand the new emphasis on things we already have. I have noticed that we, ok I, am bad about buying her a "little thing" whenever we are in a store somewhere. In the drugstore on Friday she wanted a little brush and it was only a $1 but I just said "We already have one at home" (which we do of course due to me buying one in a similar situation before) and I think she was really confused by the attitude switch. Which just points out to me that we have already started letting her know that shopping is fun and I'm glad that we are doing this experiment so that maybe we can break some of that attitude now. It's much harder when you are 36. (I just looked back over this post and dang, run on sentences much??? Sorry guys!)

Sprong (www.sprongshoes.com)
Budget Edemame has outgrown all her shoes. :(
1 pair of Keen shoes, size 10 (40% off!!!!!) $50
total = $32.40

I know some of you might think that is way too much for kids shoes and truthfully I don't usually pay that much but my daughter has feet much like mine (no arch, insanely wide, narrow heel) and it's hard to find shoes that fit her at all much less ones that are made well enough that they won't fall apart after she uses them once. Not to mention ones that are comfortable enough that she actually wants to wear them which I have always had a problem with as well. So it's an expense that we budget for.

Walgreens
Suave Shampoo $2.50
Medicated Shampoo $9.00 (So freaking expensive. But we have to have it. *sigh)
total = $12.17

Not doing too bad so far. I am working on putting together projects that have long been neglected. I'm also trying to teach myself some new skills. Anyone got any embroidery tips?? I tried some the other night and I agreed with Budget Ronin that "deranged monkeys" is not good for a kids pillow. "Can't sleep monkeys will eat me!"
Back to the grindstone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have dodged that problem here, mainly because we don't actually shop much at all. Virtually all drugstore items we save up and place one big drugstore.com order every six weeks or so (better prices, free ship and upromise kickbacks). Grocery store is twice a week and we stay out of the junk aisles. Places like Target, probably once a month.

Shoes though...kid's shoes are really the budget killer. There's not much you can do there. And I agree, it's one place you need to spend a bit, unless you want costly foot trouble down the line.

naginata said...

Oooh! I forgot drugstore.com! I used them when I was carless and had all my groceries and drugstore stuff delivered. Sigh...I miss you webvan!!!