Sunday, May 20, 2007

Tired, but Enlightened

Our car has several problems that we neglect on a daily basis. We'd like to actually fix them, but because of our poor budgeting, we tend to let the problems slide, which tends to get us into trouble. Yes, I'm sure you saw that one coming. I saw it, too.

We'll call the first problem, Problem # 1: After a minor accident, one of the back taillights to the Budget-mobile was slightly broken. The light actually worked, but the mounting bracket that held it in place was broken to the point that it would not hold the light in place. Without getting into painstaking detail, we tried several lame solutions to keep it "good enough" until we could afford to fix it. I'm not sure what money bestowing fairy was going to wish up this money for us, but we were fine with thinking that we could use duct-tape and bailing twine to keep it sort of anchored. The dealership told us a whole new light assembly would be a crisp $186.00.

Yesterday, the Budget Naginata was pulled over by one of our friendly Highway Patrols to inform us that all of our brakelights were out. All of them. Naginata excaped with a warning, but upon arriving home, I immediately began my ritual wearing of sackcloth and pouring ashes on my head. I lamented a horrible (and more importantly, expensive) problem that we couldn't solve.

But we agreed to sleep on it and look at it freshly in the morning. Since all of the lights were out, we thought it might be a fuse, so we consulted all of our manuals and the terribly mysterious series of tubes known as the "Internets" for a solution. We found the offending fuse and pulled it free, finding out that we were dead wrong. I felt defeated again, lamenting the broken taillight and our luck. Naginata refused to give up as easily and decided to check the lights themselves. One... two... three. Sure enough. They may not have busted all at once, but we verified each one was broken.

I hopped into my truck with the one new tire and headed to our local auto parts store. I wasn't going to let a few dollars get in the way of my family's safety.

$14.81. New lights installed and working. I even got over myself enough to jury rig a fairly solid temporary bracket. It involves some screws and a segment of PVC piping. I didn't think I could make it work, but it's almost as good as the actual bracket, aside from looking like a piece of PVC stuck between the light and the body of the car. Thankfully, it's hidden underneath the trunk, visable only when the door is open.

I consider this a win for the Budget Clan. You are contractually obligated to also consider this a win. Compliments are not required, but appreciated. If I get enough, I'll actually show you photos.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

...I even got over myself...

I think you have reached a new level of understanding!! And one that bollixes up a lot of people.

Congrats on the fix, sounds like you pulled that one out of, uh, the fire.

Unknown said...

Budget Mobile owes much to Ninja MacGuyver for this triumphant victory. Congrats!

naginata said...

Yay for common sense, ingenuity & a lot of elbow grease. That stuff comes off right??

10 points for working "terribly mysterious" into the post. ;)